Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tasmania

Leaving the Port in Melbourne.




Ship Stern


Hobart and bay from Mt Wellington






Cradle Mountian




Hobart and Bay















I suggested to Sara that we should make a trip to Tasmania at some point while here in Australia. She quickly suggested that I go while im here in Melbourne since it so close (what a wife!!!). So friday night I drive my car onto this massive ferry the would deliver me to Tasmania at 6 am saturday morning. I was off the boat by 6:30 and drove the 3 hours to Hobart, the largest city in Tassie. Its nice setting with Mt. Wellington overlooking the city and the bay it sits on. I then headed down the coast to Port Arthur a convict colony in the mid 1800's. A beautiful place, to bad it was used for criminals. I quickly checked some books and realized I was close to Ship Sterns a famous surf break. I knew there were no waves but it was a beautiful hike in. its was now getting dark so I jumped in the car and drove for hours intill tired and slept in the back of my car. I woke and drive the rest of the way to Cradle Mountain. I hiked the summit, enjoyed all the lakes and great views. While waiting for the park buss a German and Swiss couple had just finished several days of hiking and needed a ride. So, we traveled the 1.5 hours together to Queenstown. We had a great evening over some beers and they offered up a bed in their room at the local Hotel, which was nice compared to the back of the Jackaroo. We parted ways in the morning and I headed to the north coast to see the sights and catch the ferry back to Melbourne on Monday night at 6 pm. the last shot is sunrise as we came into port in Melbourne.

No comments: